Last week was Davidson Park Design’s one year anniversary… well, technically it was the one-year anniversary of having met Taylor. But more on that later. To celebrate, I thought it would be fun to reflect on the first staging project we did together. I’m happy to report that 101 Columbia went under contract in just 11 days and sold for full asking price. To say we were excited is an understatement. This first project gave us the confidence we needed and we were so thrilled to be off on the right foot! Having learned so much from then to now, I thought I’d share some of the lessons we’ve learned along the way.
Our contract with the homeowner states that the home must be professionally cleaned before we come in to stage the property. There is a reason for that! When we arrived on the first day of our install, it was clear nobody had touched the property since the sellers moved out. Because of scheduling complications, it turned out that the cleaners were not able to come until three days after we began moving in our furniture and decor. This really hindered our progress as Taylor went above and beyond to ensure the property was spotless; scrubbing floors, cleaning windows, etc. so that everything shined. The result was beautiful, but we quickly figured out how important it is to inspect the soon-to-be-staged property the before we arrive to ensure we remain on schedule and exceed our clients expectations.
The next lesson is that the devil is in the details and the details take up a lot of time. We knew that with our perfectionist natures, it would take hours perfecting every last element in the home, but we underestimated the amount of time it takes for things like ironing and steaming linen curtains and slip covers, hanging artwork and creating vignettes. Although we had a thorough plan in place prior to the install, we were very grateful that our installation team was willing to go the extra mile. They helped with moving items that weren’t perfectly placed (over and over again), steaming for hours, and running out to grab last minute items for the home. This experience taught us the importance of prep work before packing the truck, how patience is key and snacks are always necessary.
Sometimes, it turns out, you need to work with what you have… and make the best of it. This mindset greatly worked out in our favor when it came to the master bedroom at the property. We fully staged particular rooms, such as the living room, foyer, and office, but there were specific items that the sellers asked us to utilize in our staging. One of those pieces was a canopy bed the homeowners had in their finished attic. The bed was lovely, but very large and took over any room it was in. Also, because of its extreme, traditional style, we struggled to find any furniture in our inventory that would compliment it.
Luckily, the sellers were donating furniture of similar style in a different room. I’m not going to lie, it looked pretty beat up, but that’s nothing a little elbow grease couldn’t solve! After polishing the furniture, removing the bed canopy and shortening the posts (as well as raising the rods with new curtains, adding neutral bedding and simple artwork,) we were personally, very happy with the results!
Overall, this last year has been quite the whirlwind. We’ve learned lessons on every job, enjoyed creating all of our marketing, struggled with changing directions and regretted some decisions. However, we’ve learned to grow as a team as we’ve settled into our individual roles, and continue to push each other, day in and day out. We’re continuing to grow as people, partners and a company. I’m proud to say, we’ve come pretty far in the past year and couldn’t be more excited for the year ahead.
Until next time…